Google+ peggy aplSEEDS: Every Child is Precious

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Every Child is Precious

Such sad news.  My friends' 2 1/2 month old baby died in his sleep the other day.  He was a premature baby but we all thought he was out of danger, having overcome many challenges in his first few weeks.  We had just celebrated his baptism last February 12 and then, we were back in the same church compound, only this time, to say goodbye.

I was reminded of a poem which I came across some time ago and it is about
how our children are just lent to us.  
TO ALL PARENTS
"I'll lend you for a little time a child of mine, " He said,
"for you to love the while she lives and mourn for when she's dead.
It may be six or seven years, or twenty-two or three,
But will you, till I call her back, take care of her for me?
She'll bring her charms to gladden you, and shall her stay be brief,
You'll have her lovely memories as solace for your grief.

I cannot promise she will stay, since all from earth returns,
But there are lessons taught down there I want this child to learn.
I've looked the whole wide world over in my search for teachers true
And from the throngs that crowds life's lanes I have selected you.

Now will you give her all your love, nor think the labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call to take her back again?"
I fancied that I heard them say: "Dear Lord, Thy will be done!
For all the joy Thy child shall bring, the risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shelter her with tenderness, we'll love her while we may,
And for the happiness we've known forever grateful stay;
but shall the angels call for her much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand."
by Edgar Guest

Isn't it so terribly sad and ironic that this beautiful baby, so beloved by his family, died in a world where so many abortions take place?  This site says approximately 42 million abortions take place in one year.  "Every child born into the world is a new thought of God, an ever fresh and radiant possibility"(Kate Douglas Wiggin) and I believe even the ones who have not yet been born are already so very precious.

In the Philippines, March 25 of each year is celebrated as the "Day of the Unborn". This day is "devoted to the vast number of babies forbidden to live and partake in this world."  Who knows what potential a baby would reach if he were allowed to live.   

Listen to "A Baby's Prayer"...

  
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart..." Jeremiah 1:5

Let us treasure our children and the precious time we have with them.

12 blog hugs:

BeautifulDees said...

oh dear that is so sad, I look at my dear children and grandchildren and thank God every day for them. I am so sorry for your friend.
May God Bless!!!
Love,Debbie

Tumbleweed Trails said...

I am so sorry to hear about the baby's passing. I will keep you, your friend and family's in my thoughts and prayers. I did not know that about March 25th. I will keep that day in mind as it approacheds.
Jody

Gina said...

I just read your poem and loved it. I read it to my mother, who lost her son of about 10 days - my baby brother - when I was three years old, and she just teared up.
Beautiful.
As is your art.

Gina (Ginart)

Lynn said...

OH my goodness, this is heart breaking. I really feel for your friend and family, and thank you for sharing the beautiful poem.

Patti Edmon Artist said...

I am so very, very sorry to hear about your friends' loss... Even at their most difficult I value every day with mine (young teens) and know that they don't belong to me and will be leaving before too long, I am aware and thankful for the opportunity of every day. Stories like the one you've told reinforce that. Thank you!

Lynn Stevens said...

Oh this is so incredibly sad. I can't even begin to understand how hard this must be on the family. To be taken so soon in Life. My heart aches!!!
The poem is beautiful and hopefully will give them some peace at this hard time!

Janee said...

I'm so sorry to hear of such a tragic loss. That is such a beautiful poem to honor the love that surrounds each one of you going through this difficult experience. My thoughts are with all of you.

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend's loss. Thoughts and prayers. Just so sad.

Anonymous said...

How heartbreaking. Glad your friend as you to help. Baby must of been so precious!

Unknown said...

This is so sad.....I lost my baby grandson to SIDS and I saw what it did to my daughter....We used that bible verse at his memorial....my prayers are with them...

Debra@CommonGround said...

Peggy what a sweet and heartwrenching post. Our second daughter was 4 weeks early and we almost lost her several times. I couldn't sleep and would sit all night next to her crib watching her. that was 30 years ago. I cannot imagine the heartbreak.
hugs,
Debra

Ticking and Toile said...

Oh how very sad! I am so sorry to hear about your friend losing her sweet baby. I can't imagine the grief.

I really enjoyed the poem, wonderful, sweet & sooo true.

Shellagh

Related Posts with Thumbnails