Google+ peggy aplSEEDS: My Good Friday Reflection

Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Good Friday Reflection

"But it is your custom for me to release to you one prisoner at the time of the Passover. Do you want me to release ‘the king of the Jews’?” They shouted back, “No, not him! Give us Barabbas!”John 18:39-40

Reading through the part in the bible where the crowd chose to save Barabbas over Jesus, I asked myself, why would they do that?  And yet, when I read the words of St. Alphonsus de Liguori, I realize I have done it too...

"My Lord, this I have done when I committed sin, I had then the choice of loving Thee or a vile pleasure, and I have answered, I wish for the pleasure, and care not to lose God.  This I then said, O my Lord, but I now say that I prefer Thy grace before all the pleasures and riches of the world..." (from "The Passion and the Death of Jesus Christ")

More excerpts from the book...

"As Jesus and Barabbas were proposed to the people, so it was proposed to the Eternal father to save his Son or sinful man.  The Eternal Father answered, Let my Son die, and let sinful man be saved." 

What great love the Father has for us!

O executioners, you have erred; this man is not guilty, it is I that have deserved these scourges..."

"...Oh my soul, wilt thou be one of those who look with indifference on thy God torn with scourges?  Reflect on his sufferings, but still more on the love with which thy sweet Lord submits to so excruciating a torture for thy sake. In his scourging, Jesus certainly thought of thee..."




Indeed, my beloved Redeemer, your passion is all about your passionate love for us, unworthy as we are.  May I never be indifferent or take for granted the great sacrifice you made for me.  Thank you, Lord, for the victory you won for us on the cross!

Linking up with Then Sings my Soul Saturday and Spiritual Sunday.

6 blog hugs:

Unknown said...

Amen.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

Yes to this!!!!!

noreen said...

Hi Peggy, I saw your comment on Sue's blog, In Him We Live and Move and Have Our Being. I was so pleased to hear that many businesses are closed on Good Friday. I wish that were true here in Illinois. We do go to a church service which is wonderful but then we enter out into the busy life around us. Have a Blessed Easter.
www.rosarymom.blogspot.com

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I have to say AMEN! Thank-you so much for sharing this with us today.
God Bless,
Ginger

Charlotte said...

Beautifully said. And I say Amen.
Thank you for sharing.
I hope you've had a very Happy Easter.
Charlotte

Pamela said...

Let sinful men be saved. His name be praised for the price of God's Son given for this sinful woman. What a gift!

Rejoicing,
Pamela

Related Posts with Thumbnails