Google+ peggy aplSEEDS: David Wilkerson and the Cross and the Switchblade

Thursday, April 28, 2011

David Wilkerson and the Cross and the Switchblade

Today, I finished rereading "The Cross and the Switchblade," a book I first read when I was a young girl coming to know the Lord in a deeper way.   At that time, when I read about how the author, David Wilkerson, experienced God's guidance and power, I was amazed!  Was it still possible, in this day and age to experience God in this way?  I asked myself.  Was it possible for me?  (Yes, it is!)  This book encouraged me to continue to seek God and know more of His ways.

The book tells of how David Wilkerson started a Christian ministry to young drug addicts and gang members in New York City in the 1950s and 1960s.  The ministry was eventually called "Teen Challenge" and many young people's lives were changed because of it.

Today, I googled David Wilkerson.  I was wondering what had become of Teen Challenge (Global Teen Challenge now has more than 1000 Teen Challenge programs in 80 countries.)  To my dismay and amazement, I found a news article that had just come out saying David Wilkerson had just died in a car accident.  Wow, it felt so strange.  I am saddened at the news but at the same time, I rejoice in a life so well lived.  Til the end, he served God, even writing an amazingly appropriate blog post on the day he died.

"Well done, good and faithful servant... Enter into the joy of your master."  Matthew 25:23

6 blog hugs:

Unknown said...

I also remember reading that book as a young teen and being influenced by it. I hadn't heard of his death yet, but reading that final blog post find it very appropriate.

Abigail Jasmine said...

Thank you for sharing this- encouraging- his final blog post, wow..

God is amazing!

Unknown said...

Wow Peggy, I remember reading that book too! Very powerful at that impressionable time in my life. I'm so sad of his passing. He had such a testimony.
thanks for sharing!
micah

Gail Griner Golden at Gail-Friends said...

Hi Peggy: I was shocked today to hear the news about David Wilkerson. I, too, was deeply affected by his book and his ministry.

Thank you for stopping by Gail-Friends. I'm happy to meet you and join your followers.

Your art is beautiful.

Shalom,
Gail

grammy and papi said...

I read the book in my 20's as a young mother. I was also saddened to hear of the tragic accident, but rejoicing that David Wilkerson is home at last.

Have a God Filled Day
Shirley

Karen said...

He was a mighty servant of God...I was always blessed by his writings....

Related Posts with Thumbnails